Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Seek my face

In July, my wife and I adopted a little orange tabby kitten from a rescue. I knew she was special because she was the only kitten we held that day that seemed completely content to just be in my arms. She didn't struggle to get away but just rested and relaxed while I held her. We brought her home with us and quickly fell in love. She was so special, unlike any cat I have ever had. She would impulsively rise up from laying in my lap and just start rubbing my nose and chin with her nose. It was like she just had to get up and give us little kitten kisses. After a few seconds of this, she would turn back around and contentedly lay back down in my lap. This became a regular routine demonstrating just how special she was.

Last month she came down with what seemed to be a runny nose. We took her in to the vet where she underwent a routine examination. The doctor expressed deep concern that she had lost weight and that there seemed to be fluid in her abdomen. After tests and exploratory surgery, she was diagnosed with Feline Infectious Peritonitis, a terminal disease that gave her two weeks to live. She went in for sniffles and never came home. Our hearts broke. I know this is hard for some to understand, but this little kitty (we called her Peachy) expressed unconditional love toward us. She was like no other pet kitten we had ever had. Even though she was with us for just a short time, and her death is terribly painful, I wouldn't trade that time with her for anything.

Now that I am reflecting on her death and during this holy time of Lent, I see my experience in a new light. My love for this little kitten must be a gift from God to show me a glimpse of what it was like for God and His son, Jesus. Jesus gave unconditional love to His Father. Jesus would stop in His day and turn toward His Father and seek His face. How much joy that must have given the Father. How precious Jesus was to the Father. What pain God must have felt when He allowed His son to die. But He knew why and He knew it wasn't the last time that the Father would spend precious time with His Son.

Thank you Father for sending this joy and suffering into my life so that I may know you better. May each one of us come to know God, the Father and His Son, Jesus better through our life experiences (suffering and joy) during this time of Lent and all through our lives. May we all know the joy of His rescuing us from death so that we can seek His face and bask in His peace and love.

4 comments:

Recovering Sociopath said...

Thanks, Chris-- that picture is perfect.

I love that God chooses to show us little glimpses of Himself, not only through Momentous Sufferings, but also through little loving beasties like your kitten. I'm off to read some James Herriot now...

Kimberly said...

As Jesus said, as reported by Matthew: "Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" (Mt 6:26).

Sometimes I think God uses the smallest of critters to show us things of immense value.

Thanks Chris....

tyler said...

How beautiful Chris, how emotionally poignant. We have one of those very special cats, who is very affectionate. I generally do not like cats but he is a real gift. But he is beginning to show signs of age, maybe the end is not so far...
Kisses from God, the face of Jesus with the Father, what a heart He is creating in you in your sorrow and joy --to see Him more. Lord create that heart in me...

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about your loss. Pets are such special companions and you're right -- such a model of unconditional love. I have had many, mostly fish and cats, and the deaths (unrelated) have been hard to bear.