Thursday, February 7, 2008

Shush!

I’ve been shushed twice in the last two days. Have I mentioned that I hate being shushed? It’s one of those things that cuts me, that goes to the core of my being. Why? Well, I guess I wonder why friends think it’s OK to shush me. Shushing me means they think I can’t tell right from wrong, or that I can’t recognize where I am and what I’m saying. It means that I need to be managed, that I need to be managed by them. It means I’m embarrassing them.

Do I shush others? I imagine I do, without even thinking. It’s one of those adult-child transactions. If you were ever a child, you were likely shushed. And if you’ve ever accompanied a child into a church, a museum, or a grocery store, you know a well-timed shush is a very important part of your arsenal.


So, is this a Lenten task?

Psalm 46 comes to mind:

“Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth” (Psalm 46:10).

“Enough! Be still! Shush! Know that I am God.”

OK. I’ll shush.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

HAH! I also hate being shushed. Or told what I "should" do about any given thing. In fact, when I am shushed, or told what to do, I tend to do the opposite, just to spite...who? And what if it is God telling me what I "should" do? Stick my tongue out at Him and say, "you're not the boss of me." Oh wait. He is. Hmmmm.

Recovering Sociopath said...

I don't like being shushed, either-- or the implication that I need managing.

But boy do I never need managing! And Lent is such an important reminder of that, especially as I have to beg for the grace to follow through on my fasts.