Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Yearly Physical

I am going to the doctor tomorrow. Nothing is wrong (that I know of). I just decided that it was time to get a checkup, a physical. The first one in, oh, ever. Well, first there was the 20-something “immortal” thing I had going. Then I got busy. Then got pregnant and had a baby. So it isn’t like I haven’t seen a doctor in the past few years, but we were mostly only dealing with a specific issue. And I have realized that there is more to me, physically, than the child-bearing aspect. And those other parts have received little, if any attention. And if you listen to the medical community, they are always talking about a “yearly physical”. So, I am woefully behind.

And that got me thinking about Lent. As I mentioned in my previous post, many Christian traditions look at Lent as an opportunity to take stock of their spiritual lives. A yearly physical, if you will.

Many of us probably take a few moments on a Saturday or Sunday during the worship service to think about our lives, and the Confession provides a brief opportunity to examine some of the places where we are weak. However, how often do we really sit down and take stock of where we are. Or, for an even more challenging task, how often do we ask our Creator to examine us, thoroughly, and give us a report? If you are like me, not nearly often enough.

I don’t want to go to the doctor tomorrow. I don’t want to step on the scale, have my blood pressure read, get my fasting blood sugar taken. I don’t want to be challenged about my lifestyle. I don’t really want him to tell me everything that could be wrong. I don’t want him to warn me about the future. I don’t want a prescription for a life different from the one I am living. But I am now a parent, and I want to be around to see my son grow up, and be a healthy mom for him. And since that desire is greater than my “don’t wants”, I am going to the doctor.

I often (frequently . . . most of the time) don’t want God to look at my life and take my spiritual temperature. Part of me would like to live life in denial of the cost that sin and temptation is taking. But another part of me wants God to be able to use me for His Kingdom work, and that means letting Him take a look at my life and tell me what His prescription is.

And Lent provides a fabulous time for us to get our Yearly Spiritual Physical. Especially if we have set aside some of the more distracting things in our lives. And God is faithful to give us much more than we ask. If we ask for health, He will give us the grace we need to get healthy, with His help.

I still don’t want to go to the doctor. But I am going.

1 comment:

Mark F. said...

Beautiful meditation, Kimberly. That connection between the physical and the spiritual checkup is brilliant. It certainly hits home.