Sunday, April 3, 2011

Compassion and Inclusion

Psalm 66, 67; Psalm 19, 46
Jeremiah 14:9,17-22; Galatians 4:21-5:1; Mark 8:11-21

I spent much of the last two days at the Accessibility Summit at McLean Bible Church. It, the people I met, and Nouwen's reflection about Compassion for Helen leave me thinking about how much poorer we are because of the pace we (or at least I) live life.

For example, A few years ago I'd plan twice as long as I needed to go grocery shopping so that I'd have space and time for divine appointments. Usually when I did this the time turned turned toward some sort of compassionate act toward others. Now, more often than not I go to the grocery store hungry eager to get home and make dinner.

Largely in the name of scheduling time with people for relationship, I'm realizing the sacrifice of relationships. With less time for unscheduled relationships, I wonder how closely the omitted part of the Jeremiah reading applies toward me personally. After the Accessibility Summit, I'm longing for relationships with people dramatically different from me and yet dramatically like me and the opportunity to seek God together.

Questions for comment:
What is one task you do that you could slow down?
How could Church of the Apostles be more welcoming to people 'dramatically different' from us?

1 comment:

Zaki Ogoola said...

I could take more time to pray in such a way that doesn't always involve asking God for things, and I could try to journal. Journaling used to be hard for me, because I always wrote about negative stuff. Maybe God will redeem all of that if I take the time to try it again. Instead of being pulled in by the lies, I can start hearing God's truths more clearly.