Monday, April 18, 2011

The whole world - sins and all

Psalm 51:1-18(19-20); Psalm 69:1-23
Jeremiah 12:1-16; Philippians 3:1-14; John 12:9-19

John 12:19 "Look the world has gone after him"

Christians tend to fall into one of two extremes relating to the world. It is either hostile to God, like the sins of the flesh, all awaiting destruction. Or the other extreme of everything is so good that we're to seek comfort and prosperity often forgetting the clear direction of scripture of how difficult it is for those who have to receive the gospel.

We're to live a challenge somewhere inbetween where we are expecting a difficult journey and that all of the difficult journey is to be offered up to God. We're to live expecting a new creation with the old creation passing away yet somehow enduring. So how do we do it?

How do we be part of the 'whole world' that praises God even when people fall short of praising God? How do we be the people who leaders would point at and feel like all humanity has gone after Jesus? What do you do to avoid the traps and pitfalls of our materialist societal sin? How do you live expectant of something new and yet treasuring what God has given us now? How do you restore feeling and understanding where these two heretical extremes have left us numb to the power of the good news of Jesus Christ?

1 comment:

Zanshin said...

A big question for sure. One way I sort of bridge the gap is by not putting limits on what there is to learn.

As I get older, I learn and appreciate more about the world. I feel like God reveals himself through, and wants me to appreciate, the complexity and beauty and order of the world, including human cultures and experiences. So I move from a position of ignorance to one of open-mindedness and wonder. My mind and heart are expanded, and I can act more effectively.

Alternating with that are times when I learn how limited human cultures and experiences are themselves, when placed in the larger picture of truth and eternal life. So I move from a position of worldly wisdom to one of humility and willingness to detach from things should I be called to. My mind and heart are expanded again, and I can act more freely.