Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Recognizing Prayer as Essential

Psalm 119:145-176; Psalm 128, 129, 130; Jeremiah 25:30-38; Romans 10: 14-21; John 10:1-18

The challenge today is to think about our perceptions of our prayer life. If we, as most Christians do, believe that prayer is important and effective, not to mention modeled by Jesus, then we should take it more seriously than we often do. Most of us, probably, pray at least once a day, sometimes perfunctorily, sometimes for a long stretch.

However, speaking only from personal experience, I find prayer hard. I find it hard to concentrate, to stay on point, to stay focused. There are so many horrendous issues in the world, in our country, in my friends' lives, in my own life, that they are overwhelming. I can't pray for all of them, so often I don't pray for any. But I do, I really do, believe that prayer is important. That it is our lifeline to our Maker and Savior. So this question is for me, too: Why is it so hard?

How do your rate prayer on your priority list?

How do you move it higher?

1 comment:

Zaki Ogoola said...

Prayer is uber important and I agree, really hard to do. I usually have prayer sessions in the morning on the way to work, and at night before bedtime, but I don't always stay consistent with it.

I did come across a sticker you could stick in your bible, that had a prayer pie chart. It was broken down in 5 minute increments that made up 1 full hour of prayer. So in the first five minute piece, it said praise God. Another one said praise through singing, and so on. Can't remember what the others said, but I did try it once, and got to the 10 minute mark. Even though it was short, it helped me focus on what I was praying about and it felt good to have that direction.

I since lost it, and want to find it again to finish it!