Thursday, April 7, 2011

Seeking a Spiritual Atmosphere

Psalm 69:1-23(24-30)31-38; Psalm 73
Jeremiah 22:13-23; Romans 8:12-27; John 6:41-51

I don't think much about trash collection other than to put my trash out on the appointed day and to be thankful that it is taken away. Yet, this week I'm encountering articles about how volunteers in Libya are pulling together to pick up trash and how Jina Moore in Sierra Leone notes "sanitation trucks collected trash from city trash bins -- possibly the most dramatic sign Freetown could boast of a regularly functioning government."

When I read Nouwen's reflection about 'seeking a spiritual atmosphere' I found myself reacting against what he wasn't explicitly saying, namely the all too common Christian habit of avoiding all who aren't Christian as if they pollute our atmosphere. It would be silly to put my roommates on the curb to be picked up rather than just the trash we produce. It is even silly to think that it is only them creating trash and not me as well.

So, while I agree it is important to live in a spiritual atmosphere and talk with people who help heighten our sense of expectation for God to show up. I also know it is important to have an effective trash collection system that is sophisticated enough to take out the trash and not the people. It is critical to expect God to show up in our times with people who haven't received the gospel message. And, in our age of recycling, to figure out what is trash and what is a truth filled good idea to be recycled that comes from the other because I'm living in a spiritual atmosphere.

Questions for comment:
What is one idea that you believe because someone who isn't Christian helped you think it?
What is something you think Christians often misidentify as trash?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I learned a form of prayer I title 'Way of the Cross' because of a conversation with someone who wasn't Christian. While there were many steps from the conversation to the idea bearing fruit... the jist of the 'Way of the Cross' method is to accept the bad thing that is happening like what Jesus did on the cross and to expect God to use me to transform the bad thing. Without this idea I don't know how I would go places that don't yet appear redeemed when many Christians seem to avoid suffering.

Unknown said...

Great questions for thought, too. I was challenged last week when I claimed Jesus was the only God who died. I was chatting with a young Hindu man who pointed out that lots of their gods have died before. But did any of them die not deserving to and in order to take on the punishment for our sins? His comments helped me focus on the real point of Good Friday. It is remarkable enough that God Almighty creator of heaven and earth died, but even more so because He loves us. Is Hinduism trash? Not entirely if it sharpens my faith. And I won't step into a discussion of recycling in the context of Hinduism. :-)