Sunday, March 27, 2011

After the Silence Comes Joy

Psalm 118:24, Isaiah 55:12, Nehemiah 8:10, John 16:22, James 1:2-3


Nouwen provides several examples to illustrate that there is a little sadness in every experience of joy. I have not experienced sadness while experiencing joy in some of the examples he gives. However, I would agree with him generally that we intuit a sense of sadness in the midst of joy and happiness. At some level, I believe, we are aware that even the greatest experiences of joy and sadness in this life are fleeting. They are not permanent and thus will fade, because our lives on this earth will one day end.

Our faith in Christ gives us hope that the imperfect joy we experience here will one day be perfected in Heaven. When we see Jesus again we will have joy and no one (or thing) will be able to take that joy away (John 16:22). Nouwen concludes his reflection with an allusion to John 16:22. Christ' victory on the Cross and the promise of perfect joy for us in Heaven helps me, when I turn to Him, to rejoice in each day, because the Lord has made it (Psalm 118:24) and to count the good and bad in my life as "all joy" (James 1:2-3), trusting that God is allowing it to happen for the sake of my salvation.

"After the Silence Comes Joy" is the title for the reflection for the Saturday for the Third Week of Lent. However, I don't see the relevance of the reference to silence in the reflection passage. Thoughts?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't see the relevance to the title 'After the Silence comes Joy' either. I could come up with all sorts of guesses/ theologizing but am struck that the title coincides with today (Monday, Third week of Lent) Entering the Silence within. So, I expand your question for all our comment...

Why bother with silence at all?
What happens in silence that can't (or at least is unlikely to) happen in any other way?

JCH said...

As I read the post and thought about silence, the words to a song came to me.

I hear music
no one's singing
no one's playing
I hear music

I am dancinging
in the stillness
in the silence
I hear music

I hear music
no one's singing
no one's playing
I hear music

I am resting
in the stillness
in the silence
I hear music

Carried on the wings of your spirit
bowing at you holy feet
the symphony of worship
now I hear it
wave of peace are washing over me
Your tenderness unspeakably sweet

I am singing
deep within me
you sing with me
I hear music

In the stillness
In the silence
In your Presence
I hear music

It is in those periods of silence that God draws us with love to himself. By his grace, we begin to connect at a deeper level within. To me, the words of the song speak of an intimate communion with God from within that place of stillness & silence.
A communion heart-to-heart, spirit-to-spirit, face-to-face.

It is also within that place of silence where God reveals himself
to us at a deeper level. We grow in awareness of our own flaws and weaknesses in the light of God's beauty and pure love. We see our own smallness as we gaze upon God's all-in-all. In those periods of silence, when all the other voices within us are silenced, we can also begin to hear God's words of love and affirmation.

It is also in this place of silence where a longing is awakened and grows within us.
A longing to know him as we are known. A longing to love him as we are loved. A longing to be more like him.

Longing can be painfull, but I believe when we allow it to lead us into that place of stillness and silence - we will discover real joy. I'm not sure how to explain it, but the pain of longing and joy are intertwined and they both seem to be wrought in that place of silence.

Just some thoughts from one who has only just tasted but longs for more.