Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Cross & Powerlessness

Psalm 93, 96; Psalm 34
Jeremiah 6:9-15; 1 Corinthians 6:12-20; Mark 5:1-20
"The powerlessness of the manger became the powerlessness of the cross." Nouwen

The mystery and power of the cross and the powerlessness it shows is one of the most beautiful and challenging truths for those of us who follow Jesus. Paul struggled with it, the Koran reject it.

Why would God who is all powerful be scandalized, mocked and let himself be powerless? While there are many rich resources to meditate upon the cross and I fondly remember The stations of the cross and especially how I'm confronted with truth when pondering Jesus falling. I've appreciated years of meditations on the Seven Last Words of Christ as each word and resource has taken me to new places.

Yet, this year God is taking me to a new place of simply embracing the mystery of the cross and God's love shown through the cross. I seem to need to be in a place of simpler trust and so the song What would I have done seems to be the most powerful way God is using to touch me with powerlessness without the cross.

Questions for comment:
Is there a part of the story of Jesus' death that particularly resonates in your soul?
How are you entering into the mystery of the cross right now?
What tools/ practices help you enter worshipfully into the reality of what Jesus has done for us?

1 comment:

Zaki Ogoola said...

After seeing The Passion of the Christ, I realized I hadn't thought about how brutal, humiliating, and mind bogglingly horrible it all was. I'd only heard of it, or read it in the gospels, but couldn't see it in my head and comprehend the meaning of it all. I often wonder what Jesus' thoughts were at The Last Supper, sitting with His disciples, knowing suffering was imminent, and still choosing to go through it. 

Communion has a more profound meaning for me now. The thought that Jesus died a horrible death to save us all for love, blows my mind every single time. I've also been listening to "What Would I Have Done" over and over these last four weeks, and break down in wonder and awe of His tremendous love for us.