Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Renewing our Minds in God's Mercies

I know God's mercies are new every day, yet it is so easy to forget the goodness of God and his Kingdom. As we start Lent, I recognize a renewed desire to practice disciplines that draw me closer to God.

Knowing there are places where I need to be in a lonely place to keep my mind fixed on God and God's kingdom, as we're told Jesus did in Luke 5:16, I've committed to a few lonely disciplines like measures of fasting and extending time in prayer.

Knowing there are places where I need to be more with others to experience more of the renewing of God's mercy and live demonstrating the Kingdom of God is more than my little disciplines I'm jumping into this blog and increased time with those who personally intercede for me.

Knowing we're called to do our prayers in quiet I proclaim these disciplines with a little reticence hoping to encourage you and spur all of us to more love and good deeds as we meet together in cyber space.

What ways will you seek to keep your mind fixed on God and God's kingdom this Lent? What are the challenges and fruits of the ways you’re trying (especially if you’ve tried them before)?

3 comments:

Zanshin said...

I feel your reticence about discussing personal disciplines. No one wants to be that loud Pharisee praying in public.

We have to be inspired and encouraged somehow, though. Sometimes the stigma against boasting about piety can become a stigma against piety itself. I was first surprised, then a tiny bit put off, then grateful and blessed when a friend of mine started discussing online what she was doing for Lent a few years ago. Hearing her honest thoughts about her spiritual journey helped me take a fresh look at the benefits of various spiritual disciplines that I hadn't thought much about before. It's been a tremendous encouragement.

So, stepping out in that spirit of sharing, I'll mention what I feel God is leading me to this Lent. As some of you might know, I'm giving up Facebook except on Sundays. Facebook is a beneficial force in my life and friendships overall, but a very strong temptation to neglect other things I should be spending my time on instead. I'm hoping that taking a major step back during Lent will help me rebalance my self-discipline in the future.

Most especially, I'm looking forward to saying the Rosary every day, using Haapala's From Genesis to Revelation: Seven Scriptural Rosaries. The most common way God touches me is through reading the Bible, and I've found that Scriptural Rosaries (which intersperse Scripture verses with prayers) are my favorite way to slowly meditate on and savor Scripture. I find it more relational than reading an entire chapter at once.

I also plan to give up meat on Fridays, mostly because it seems to be a standard tradition and thus probably worth trying. I made an attempt last year but usually forgot!

I'm hoping that these will keep my mind fixed on God and his kingdom this Lent. Knowing myself, the positive disciplines often connect better than the negative ones, but both can be worthwhile. I think having something daily will help me keep Lent in my mind every day.

Peter said...

Thanks, Brian. It seems to take some time every Lenten season for the quiet to take effect, but when I can quiet down for several days or weeks, I am able to understand better the pressure of the world's assumptions, and thus to recognize why Jesus brings good news in challenging those assumptions. But it takes time.

periwinkle said...

Lent is often a time to fast. Not only do we fast in some fashion as a family but also to add something that we don't ordinarily do. I am trying to stand by my children in "fasting" with them. One daughter has decided to fast from spending money the other from sweets. Guess which one is easier.
God spoke clearly to me...I want you hunger, do not eat until you are satisfied. I am your portion and your fill.