Friday, March 25, 2011

Imagination expanded

Psalm 75, 76; Psalm 23, 27
Jeremiah 5:20-31; Romans 3:19-31; John 7:1-13

As Nouwen challenges us to care I find the most intriguing part (and possibly most difficult part) identifying fully with the people I'm helping when I haven't imagined myself in their position. As Especially when I'm wondering if I'm helping in the best way, I'm slowed in being the best help.

I found myself also challenged by the passage from John and wonder especially what Jesus means about his disciples' time being now. John 7:6 So "Jesus said to them, 'My time is not yet here, but your time is always opportune.'" Today I'm taking it to mean it is time now to be revealing Jesus, to be showing caring as they learned to do with power in the previous chapter.

Cyril of Alexandria: Initially the disciples were reluctant to feed the hungry, but seeing this, the Savior gave to them in abundance from the fragments. This teaches us as well, that we, by expending a little for the glory of God, shall receive richer grace according to the saying of Christ, “a good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap.”(Lk 6:38) Therefore, we must not be slothful regarding the communion of love toward our brothers and sisters but rather put away from us, as far as possible, the cowardice and fear that lead to inhospitality. Thus we might be confirmed in hope through steadfast faith in the power of God to multiply even our smallest acts of goodness. (Elowsky, Joel C.: John 1-10. Downers Grove, IL : InterVarsity Press, 2006 (Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture NT 4a), S. 215)

Questions for reflection (and comment):
What/who stirs your compassion?
What is easiest/hardest in showing compassion for you?

No comments: