Sunday, March 13, 2011

Beloved

Psalm 63:1-9(9-11), Psalm 98, Psalm 103
Deuteronomy 8:1-10; 1 Corinthians 1:17-31
Mark 2:18-22
He was in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan... Mark 1:13

The Nouwen devotional points us today to temptation and especially temptation to self rejection. I think is is important to remember that Jesus entered the wilderness having heard God's voice proclaim certainty that he is loved “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.” Mark 1:11

To often we let our weakness be our downfall when God has chosen the weak to shame the wise. Rest today, knowing even that temptation comes, that you are loved by God.

Question options:
Less personal: What do you think was hardest for Jesus in the wilderness or as his ministry started?
More personal: What practices or disciplines help you remember that you are loved by God?
More risky: What ways has another helped affirm your identity in God?

5 comments:

Zanshin said...

"What do you think was hardest for Jesus in the wilderness or as his ministry started?"

I think it must have been hard for him to be a leader. Servant leadership is a well-known difficult juxtaposition, but follower leadership - following the Father's direction yet leading other people - is also tricky. Especially when he didn't have much precedent for who he needed to be.

Recovering Sociopath said...

More personal: What practices or disciplines help you remember that you are loved by God?

I'm eager to hear active suggestions on this.

Unknown said...

One book that helped me to remember I'm loved by God is Henri Nouwen's Beloved (http://www.amazon.com/Beloved-Nouwen-Conversation-J-M/dp/0802862861/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300114425&sr=8-3) which includes a CD of Henri Nouwen talking from a rocking chair. It feels like a warm embrace. I'm keen for other's ideas on this as well.

Kimberly said...

Worship always makes me feel loved by God. It gets me out of my head and into my heart. If I can worship actually AT the ocean or the mountains, that is a bonus.

Zanshin said...

"What practices or disciplines help you remember that you are loved by God?"

Hearing other people tell me I am loved by God helps me remember it. I should do this more for others too.